We’ve followed The Masters 2016 training course to the end and, boy, have we learnt a lot. Our Masters students – also known as The Perfume Shop’s in-store experts – have had an incredible journey, creating a new perfume, devising a brief AND making it in a lab. The last stop? A lecture from Will Andrews, Principal Scientist at Procter & Gamble. Here are some of the mind-blowing facts they learnt:
- People are tuned to enjoy pleasing smells, and fruity top notes are immediately more satisfying. Check your favourite fragrance now – chances are it will have a fruit as a top note.
- We are naturally drawn to floral smells, but there’s no real reason for it.
- A rose note is made from 300 chemicals.
- We are born with a sense of smell but no association to anything. We have preferences to the smells we grow up with. The Japanese grow up with a smell of fish, so are drawn towards it. We Brits favour the smell of grass.
- You shouldn’t wear a totally new perfume on your wedding day as, for your partner, it’ll be a bit like marrying a stranger. Our partners are naturally attracted to our sense of smell, even if they don’t know it.
- In the 1770s, people were less hygienic, so homes and society smelt dirty.
- Perfumes don’t change your natural odour, they add to it.
- Fruit doesn’t exist in perfume. To make a fruity smell, flowers are mixed together. Similarly, almond is made from the compound benzaldehyde, and the smell of water is created from calone, a chemical that smells of water.
So, as you can see, the experts at The Perfume Shop have an INSANE amount of knowledge. Need a date night scent or one for your next holiday? Come into store and ask our staff. You won’t be disappointed, promise.
With tears in their eyes, The Masters students graduated in November 2016 (graduation cape and all) and shared their best moments. Some mentioned their trip to Paris and visiting the Thierry Mugler offices, while others got the tissues out and talked about their life-long friendships.
So it’s over. But it’s just the beginning for our newly graduated students to wow you in stores. Trust us – no one else has been trained quite like they have.