Choosing perfume can be tricky, so what do you do when it’s for the BIGGEST day of your life? Reader Kate Burton, who’s getting married this month, tells us how she chose her down-the-aisle scent – with a little help from us, of course – and we list our top picks for a perfect wedding…
‘It’s going to be a barn wedding at The Yoghurt Rooms in East Grinstead, West Sussex,’ says Kate. ‘We chose it because we wanted a relaxed, modern setting. It makes me really excited when I think back to how I met my fiancé, Lindsay Rapacchi… and now we’re actually getting married on 24 September! A friend tried to set us up on a blind date, but I refused to go. He was seven years younger and had a girl’s name – oh, and ginger hair! Three months later, we bumped into each other in a pub… and the rest is history.’
The perfume journey
‘I usually opt for perfumes that are light, fresh and subtle – perhaps with a citrusy tone. But for my wedding, I wanted to find something new,’ says Kate. ‘I went to The Perfume Shop and they were SO helpful… and patient. I tried lots of different scents, but the one I was drawn to was Elie Saab Le Parfum. It’s very romantic and smells of orange blossom and roses.’ Good taste, if we say so ourselves!
Brides-to-be, listen up! Kate says, ‘When you test out perfumes for your wedding day, make sure you’re not wearing any fragrance, otherwise your nose will get confused. Also, find a scent that none of your friends or family wears, so you stand out. And when you smell the fragrance afterwards, you’ll always be reminded of your wedding.’
More picks from The Perfume Shop
Whatever your taste, we have lots of elegant perfumes to choose from. Here are our favourites…
- Dolce & Gabbana Dolce Rosa Excelsa – perfect for rose lovers, it blends African dog rose and Turkish rose.
- Chloé Love Story – you’ll be reminded of your own love story, thanks to the notes of jasmine and orange blossom.
- Coach The Fragrance – a sparkling combo of waterlily and tuberose.
- Lacoste Eau de Lacoste L.12.12 Pour Elle Sparkling – a super-feminine scent combining pineapple and raspberries (for you fruity fans).
- Issey Miyake L’Eau d’Issey Pure – an aquatic, subtle scent oozing jasmine and cashmeran for all you girls who like to smell fresh as springtime.